"Into the Light (Out of the Dark, 2)" by David Weber and Chris Kennedy
Lynn McGuire
2022-05-17 21:11:10 UTC
"Into the Light (Out of the Dark, 2)" by David Weber and Chris Kennedy
https://www.amazon.com/Into-Light-Out-Dark-2/dp/0765366924/

Book number two of a two book series of an alien invasion science
fiction series. I read the well printed and well bound MMPB published
by Tor in 2021. I suspect that there will be a third book in the series
as the book ends on a cliffhanger, which, I plan to purchase and read.

I've got vampires in my alien invasion science fiction book !

The first book in the series detailed an invasion by the Shongairi in
which they used multiple kinetic weapons on every city on Earth of
100,000+ people and all military bases. Three quarters of the human
population of Earth died in a matter of minutes. Due to the fact that
the Shongairi space ships could only attain six times the speed of
light, their understanding of Earth technology was very outdated and
they did not know that we had progressed from an agrarian society into a
very industrialized society.

As the first Shongairi troop ships were landing on the Earth, they were
destroyed by F-22 stealth fighter jets. As soon as the F-22 jets landed
at their hidden airfields, those were also destroyed using kinetic
weapons. After the Shongairi troops rampaged through the Earth
population remnants, the vampires appeared out of Eastern Europe. The
vampires were virtually indestructible and rode back up on the outside
of their landers to the Shongairi space ships in Earth orbit. They then
boarded the space ships and proceed to kill all the Shongairi in orbit.

Now the horribly damaged human population on Earth has to rebuild, both
the population and the facilities. But they have an advantage, the now
empty Shongairi space ships and several Galactic Hegemony neural
educators. Vlad Dracula has taken one of the interstellar space ships
with a crew of several hundred and is headed 200+ light years to the
Shongairi home planet to pay back some of the damage that they did to
Earth. And one of the few remaining state governors of the USA has
become the USA President and is planning on creating a one world
government to fight the Galactic Hegemony.

David Weber has an excellent website at:
http://www.davidweber.net/

Chris Kennedy has a website at:
https://chriskennedypublishing.com

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (1,733 reviews)

Lynn
Dimensional Traveler
2022-05-17 23:23:48 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
It really was VERY weird the way he brought vampires into the first
book. <starts singing>I have a theory, it could be bunnies....<stops
singing> Um, no vampires! It was almost like he realized he'd written
humanity into too tiny of a corner and needed as deus ex machina to save
them. So, No One Expect the Vampire Inquisition!

(Or the bunnies.)
dirty old man.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2022-05-18 02:22:08 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I was not too happy with the partial explanation of the Vamps we got
here. I would have liked to stay with a Magic/Tech universe. Also
I felt the foreshadowing detracted from any suspense. Still I will
pick up the next one, if any, which I can't say for the Safehold books.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Lynn McGuire
2022-05-18 03:35:38 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
This series is very closely related to the "The Excaliber Alternative"
universe. I fully expect that should there be a book #3, another player
will be admitted to the game. Probably not named Avalon though.
https://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-Alternative-David-Weber/dp/0743435842

Lynn
Lynn McGuire
2022-05-18 03:35:30 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Did you read the second book and explained the technology behind the
vampires ?

Lynn
Dimensional Traveler
2022-05-18 04:40:09 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Not yet. Bought it just recently because my finances have improved but
haven't gotten to it. Did read the first some time back.

(And I'm betting you don't get the bunnies.)
dirty old man.
Lynn McGuire
2022-05-18 05:36:59 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
You know, I cannot even write a clear sentence tonight so, no way I got
the bunnies.

You will like the explanation for the "vampires'. And the horrible
downside for being a "vampire".

Good to hear that your finances have improved. I have been able to buy
as many books as I want since 1995 (I am 61). But, I have a verbal
warning from the wife since I have over 400 books in my SBR (strategic
book reserve) aka the 72 by 36 inch bookshelf on my side of our bed. I
need to cull it by 200 books and make her happy as I have books that I
will never read in there (abandoned series, changing tastes, etc).

Lynn
Dimensional Traveler
2022-05-18 14:44:57 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, episode Once More With Feeling.
dirty old man.
Lynn McGuire
2022-05-18 20:29:30 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Ugh. Not my favorite Buffy episode. Giles singing was not the best.
And I still don't get the bunnies so I guess that I am not remembering
something about that particular episode.

Lynn
Dimensional Traveler
2022-05-18 20:51:47 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
A former vengeance demon's contribution to the discussion about what was
the source of the latest problem.
dirty old man.
Lynn McGuire
2022-05-18 21:59:00 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
That is right, Anya was deadly scared of bunnies.

Lynn
Dimensional Traveler
2022-05-19 00:47:21 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]